AAC STEM Camp Information 2018
When: July 2nd - 31st, Monday - Thursday (Excluding July 4th and 5th)
Where: Moorestown Upper Elementary School
Address: 325 Borton Landing Rd, Moorestown, NJ 08057
Who is the AAC STEM Camp For?
The AAC STEM Camp is for children who use speech generating systems to communicate. This camp is designed to stimulate the child's interests in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) while cultivating relationships with others and advance their abilities. This camp is directed by a speech language pathologist (SLP) with over 17 years of experience and spceialties in child apraxia of speech, AAC, and complex communication needs.
- Recognize all or most of the letters of the alphabet
- Uses speech generating AAC Device such as PRC Accent, LAMP-words for Life, Speak for Yourself, and others
- Demonstrate behaviors that positively impact their ability to learn or the learning of others; such as joint attention and cooperation
- Do not require 1:1 behavioral support
- Uses their device with minimal prompting to use independently
- Able to navigate easily through their pages (has acknowledged vocabulary in system)
- Child able to formulate phrases and sentences independently or through copying print
- Initiates social exchanges using any modality of communication
- Shows interest in 1:1 conversations and/or group discussion skills
Questions to Consider
- How does your child access his/her device?
- Can they use it independently or need prompting?
- Are they able to navigate easily through their pages or do they need assistance to locate vocabulary?
- Does your child use single cells to communicate a message or formulate phrases and sentences?
- Is their device core vocabulary based?
- Would someone unfamiliar with your child’s customized pages be able to model language and help your child locate vocabulary?
- Do they initiate social exchanges?
- What does their 1:1 conversations and/or group discussions look like?
- Do they spell words, use word prediction or core vocabulary when communicating or a variety of all?
Why an Application?
We have limited space at the camp and want to continue to ensure the best experience for all campers and volunteers. Thus, we want to make sure the camp is the right fit for your child.
How To Apply - Campers
Please complete the application on our application page. In order to fulfill the requirements for a successful application, you will also have to attach the following documents:
- Copies of most recent IEP and/or speech evaluation
- A written recommendation from a speech language pathologist, occupational therapist or educator
Applications will be reviewed between 30 to 45 days from date of receipt. Those applicants that have been approved will be notified by email. If you would like to apply, please complete the form below.
- Complete application
- Attach forms listed above (IEP and Written Recommendation)
- You will be contacted by a team member for a phone interview to see if the camp is the right fit for your child
How To Apply - Staff
Thank you for your interest in our camp! Please complete the steps below for a successful staff application.
- Complete the staff application on Mission Voice website
- You will be contacted by a team member for a phone interview to see if the camp is the right fit for you